Tuesday, December 13, 2011

RANDOMNESS: WHEN IS A DJ A REAL DJ??



DJ Tutor proposed this question and its been one that I've been tossing around in my head now and again. What I've been able to come up with is if you can keep a dance floor moving regardless of your tools your a DJ. Yes in the beginning Djs used was turntables. Fact. WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT YOU USE NOW THIS IS THE FUTURE?!?! For fuck sake DJs were using reel to reel, tape decks, drum machines, and what have you long before the "dreaded" CD or MP3.

I personally feel this has all become a hot button issue with the "extinction" of the classic vinyl 12 inch. I put it in quotes because its far from being extinct, sure the 1200's were discontinued and finding vinyl tracks is becoming harder but thats just natural selection.

When vinyl sales were at their lowest that made my job as a DJ the most fun. Traveling all over the DMV hunting for new tunes, on the web, in back rooms or from the back of a car trunk. However this challenge put off a lot of people, so the instant gratification generation downloaded tunes that took me years to collect.

I don't hold a grudge because we are all DJ's, their collection is tangible and fits in their backpack, my collection is slowly taking over my modest studio. But we all love music. Plain. Simple. Done

- The Librarian

No comments: