Thursday, January 14, 2010

TEN MINUTE MIX COMPETITION

Link: http://www.djtutor.com/tenminmixcomp

This is really nothing new in fact its been going on for ages. I've never really been interested in this prospect, however Dj Ravine has inspired me a bit to throw my hat in the ring. How? He was himself, a little ego driven but he kept putting out mixes and kept getting better. His drive has inspired me to push my DJing of Ragga Jungle.

What I've realized is a few bloody things:
1) Ten Minutes is really fucking short.
- I feel my ADD brain click over into hyper drive, and I now have mad respect to all the DJs that are tackling this project.

2) I'm a sucker for old school amen jungle tracks (long intros, heavy rollers and loads of talking)
- What this means is its hard as hell to dig down to the break when DJing with vinyl.


3) Did I mention its a really short time limit.
- I'm both really hating this limitation but its also making me listen to my tracks differently and hone my crates for only the biggest gnarlist jungle rhythms. Not to mention paying attention to the harmonic tension.

The first two stabs will never be released for public consumption. "The giggler" got to hear it and her comments were as followed. Nice track selection but I'm not sure if your style of music will allow you to rock a 10 minute set. She of coarse phrased it nicer then this, but it just makes me want to do it even more.

lol

No comments: